What is a Bio-Surfactant ?
Surfactant family we have solubilizer, emulsifier, dispersant or foaming agents. In all case, they allow to reduce the energy required to create surface between two materials having same state or not (liquid, gaz, solid). It is a molecule with hydrophilic and lipophilic part which help for dissolve poorly soluble substances in a solvent like fragrance or essential oil in water-based formulation as solubilizer or allow to disperse and stabilize drop of liquid in other non-miscible liquid like an emulsifier.
Naturally-derived surfactant is composed of hydrophilic part derived from sugar (can or beet) like EcoSenseTM serie (AlkylPolyGlucoside), amino acid like glutamate or combination of choline, phosphate and glycerol like lecithin and Emultop™ Velvet IP and lipophilic part generally derived from fatty acid of vegetable oil. They are obtained by chemical reaction or extraction.
Biosurfactant like EcoSenseTM GL-60 series (Sophorolipid) are obtained by bio-fermentation involving bacteria, yeasts, and filamentous fungi. They transform basic substrate like sugar, fatty acid in complex raw material thanks to their metabolism.
Sophorolipids: Natural bio-surfactants
Dow offers two Sophorolipids products which are novel and unique bio surfactants.
Sophorolipids belong to the glycolipids (GL) family (Rhamnolipids, Mannosylerythritol lipids). These materials are a mixture of lactonic form + acidic form.
EcoSense ™GL-60 HL/HA Surfactants contain the highest active level among the market products and EcoSense ™GL-60 HA Surfactant has the highest acid sophorolipids among market products.
GL-60 HA Surfactant
|Appearance||Translucent to clear, amber liquid|
|pH at 0.1%||4 – 5||4.5 - 6|
|HLB||Low||Medium - high|
|Recommended use level||
Rinse-off: 1.0-6.0% (active),
Leave on: 0.5-5.0 %(Exceptions: body lotion/cream: 3% max; facial lotion/cream: 4% max)
Leave-on: 0.5-5.0 % (active),Rinse off: 1.0-6.0% (active)
|Optimal formulation pH||5.5~7.0||4.0~10.0|
|Natural origin index (ISO 16128)||100%||100%|
|Degradability||Readily bio-degradable||Readily bio-degradable|
- Shampoo and body wash
- In sulphate
- In non sulphate containing
- Hand soap
- Facial cleanser
- Rinse-off conditioner
- Micellar water
- Make up remover
- Gel cream
- Hair leave-on conditioner
Request more information
- Milder vs. traditional surfactants
- Improve mildness in SLES/ CapB * systems
- Improved mildness in Amino acid surfactant systems
- Can be used for leave-on applications
- Compatible with commonly used ingredients
- Ability to emulsify oils
- Effective solubilization of essential oils/fragrances
- Easy to handle, cold processable
- Highly concentrated
- Two products that provide flexibility of optimal blend
- Low foaming impact
- Doesn’t compromise foaming formulations as co surfactants
- Foaming can be improved by combination with Amino acid surfactants
- Low carbon footprint process
- Low aquatic toxicity
- Readily biodegradable
- 100% Bio-based (USDA certified)
- Made from Canola oil & sugar
- Does not contain EO and 1,4 dioxane
- No intentionally added sulfate
- Potential Sustainable claims: Ecocert, Leaping Bunny