SolaStay® is a viscous yellow liquid designed for use in skin care and sun care products. It is a highly efficient singlet state quencher for butyl ethoxydibenzoylmethane (avobenzone) and ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate (octinoxate).
Indeed, it outperforms octocrylene as an avobenzone photostabilizer, photostabilizes octinoxate and avobenzone when formulated together, is an outstanding solvent for crystalline UV filters, is easily emulsified, and is suitable for use in lotion, cream, spray, stick, and gel formulations.
At a recommended use level in sunscreens equal to the weight percentage of avobenzone in the formulation (typically 2-3%), SolaStay® S1 enables new heights of performance in broad spectrum UVA and UVB photoprotection. Used at 1-3% with mineral UV filters and/or cosmetic colorants, it mitigates the photocatalytic and reactive oxygen species-generating activities of these oxides.
SolaStay® S1 has also been documented to substantially photostabilize cholecalciferol, resveratrol, retinol, retinyl palmitate, and ubiquinone, which may be incorporated in skin care products for their anti-photoaging and other benefits. The recommended used level for SolaStay® S1 to photostabilize these products is 3-5%.
- INCI name: Ethylhexyl Methoxycrylene
- Appearance: yellow liquid
- Recommended dosage: 1-3% avobenzone with mineral UV filters and/or cosmetic colorants; 3-5% to substantially photostabilize cholecalciferol, resveratrol, retinol, retinyl palmitate, and ubiquinone
- Skin care to photostabilize active ingredient
- Sun care as :
- Sunscreen Active Photostabilizer
- Sunscreen Solvent
- Make-up with SPF protection
- Acts as a highly efficient photostabilizer for organic UV filters, inorganic mineral oxide UV filters, and other photolabile cosmetic active ingredients
- Quenches singlet excited state and triplet excited state of butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane (avobenzone)
- Mitigates photocatalytic reactions and reactive oxygen species (ROS) generation from mineral UV filters and cosmetic colorants
- Substantially stabilizes photolabile active ingredients such as resveratrol, retinol, and retinyl palmitate